Final visit: Enjoy what I learned about Orchard Crest Retirement Community














































































Monday, January 24, 2011

Reflecting on Day one

Hi everyone,
Today was the first day of this journey. I was welcomed here at Moran Vista with open arms. I was told by, Paule, the executive director that they want to be transparent and she has given me the go ahead to talk with the everyone  from the chef to the caretakers. I will also be doing an interview with Paula, the director about her philosophy of life her at Moran Vista. So that will be coming soon.

The dining experience (isn't that what everyone really wants to know about first) was also very welcoming. Although they have assigned seating the residents have been gracious enough to share tables with me. So each day I will rotate to a new table to get the clearest view from the most people in the shortest time possible. What I can say about the food today was this simple thought...I better watch out or I could get used to this life. It is like being in a fine restaurant. The servers are so pleasant and happily bring you whatever you like. You order the special of the day or any of many items on the menu. They had everything from pasta to steak available. From the wonderful soup to the tasty strawberry ice cream dinner was a hit. The conversation was interesting and insightful. The women who shared their table with me were interested in my project and shared much about their life both prior to moving to Moran Vista and what it is like to live here.

My tour of the community was detailed and eye opening. From the billiard room to the theatre room and libraries & all the little nooks for sitting it is a clean fresh community. My initial feeling is that this community feels like a home and the residents all seem to care very much for the others who live here. I looked forward to learning more about the culture of this community of active seniors. More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment