Final visit: Enjoy what I learned about Orchard Crest Retirement Community














































































Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reflections on Day Three...more

What an amazing day I had here at Moran Vista. The staff decided they would rotate me from table to table each day so I would have opportunity to meet more people and get a true view of life here. Today I was lucky enough to sit with 3 amazing women. They had some wonderful stories to tell. One is a self published author who has started a writing group in the community. She is 91 and bright and articulate. Another lady teaches bridge and told me about a fun date she had yesterday with a gentleman caller. She is 93 and was so interesting and excited about her life. The final lady I was lucky enough to chat with was a young 81 and is a retired nurse. She shared with me how much she enjoys living here because it takes all the worry out of living. Sitting with these ladies validated my theory that many people stay in their homes long past the time they should both physically and socially. The each told their story of how they moved to the community and what the transition was like for them. I hope to get a video of them talking about the process they went through.

The following videos are the reflections of Daphne the Activity Director. I began by asking her what is she passionate about her in her job and I was amazed that what she shared had more to do with the emotional and physical needs of her residents than it has to do with how many "activities" she organizes on a monthly basis. As you listen to her I think you will see what I do and that is the story of a woman who is deeply passionate about her role in the people she works with each day. She has true empathy and compassion for the people who live here at Moran Vista. She further reinforced the recurring message that it is like a family here. It is her family and she cares and protects them and has fun every day helping them along the path of their particular journey always meeting them exactly where they are. Please watch these videos and learn more...

No comments:

Post a Comment